Position Description: The Royal Military Colleges of Canada Alumni Association Inc. is seeking up to five board directors to begin a three-year term starting in September 2022.
We are especially interested in receiving applications from people who have a background in fundraising, capital investment, human resources, and accounting. The Association is committed to supporting the Canadian Military Colleges and the Canadian Armed Forces in achieving their objectives for professional conduct and culture change, including reflecting the diversity of Canada’s population.
Members of the board serve in partnership with other board directors to provide strategic leadership and to act as fiduciaries in overseeing all activities of the Alumni Association as a federally incorporated not-for-profit corporation with charitable status. Directors participate on board committees, and they determine the organization’s policies in areas of governance, human resources, planning, and finance. This position offers an exceptional opportunity to develop professionally and contribute meaningfully to a national charitable organization with a recognizable brand that serves to:
1) bring together our alumni and other members for their mutual benefit, support, mentorship and camaraderie;
2) advance education by establishing and maintaining scholarships, bursaries and prizes;
3) support and promote training and leadership programs by providing funding for programs and initiatives for the benefit of the Canadian Military Colleges to grow and develop Canada’s future leaders;
4) establish, preserve, protect and commemorate monuments and significant heritage sites at the Canadian Military Colleges;
5) enhance, preserve, and promote the experience, history, traditions and culture of the Canadian Military Colleges; and,
6) to promote and advocate for the foregoing.
A sample of Board director’s duties are:
- Establish or revise, in consultation with staff, a Strategic Plan for the Alumni Association and ensure adequate resources are available to achieve that plan;
- Develop and approve policies that define the parameters within which the corporation will operate. Board Policies shall apply to everyone in the corporation, including members of the Board, all volunteers and staff;
- Retain the services of a CEO, who will manage the day-to-day operation of the Alumni Association in accordance with the policies and goals established by the Board, and who will provide direct supervision of all Association staff, to implement the strategies outlined in the Strategic Plan;
- Ensure that the Association is being operated in accordance with legal requirements, its Bylaws, and for the purposes described in its Articles of Incorporation, in a financially solvent and secure manner;
- Lead or participate in Board committees to support effective governance and oversight; and
- Recruit and orient new Board Members and assess Board performance.
In addition, the Alumni Association is currently recruiting non-director committee members to be advisors on Association committees.
We encourage any person who attended a Canadian Military College in an undergraduate, graduate or distance learning program to apply for this opportunity, as a person is eligible for membership in the Alumni Association in accordance with the Alumni Association’s Bylaw.
- Demonstrated interest in the Alumni Association’s mission and goals
- Willingness to expand knowledge of board responsibilities through orientation and on-going education
- Willingness to represent the Royal Military Colleges of Canada Alumni Association in the local community
- Commitment to attend and actively participate in all board meetings and other functions
- Stay informed as to what is going on in the Association and at the Canadian Military Colleges
- Actively participate in one or more fundraising activities
- Ensure that the Association has adequate finances and that monies are responsibly and respectfully raised and spent
- Participate in development of a strategic plan with short and long-term goals of the Alumni Association
- Support and provide strategic direction to the CEO
- Invite at least three different alumni to a donate and to become paid-up voting members
- Donate to the best of your ability
- Take steps necessary to ensure financial and legal accountability of the Alumni Association
- Length of Commitment: 3 year term
- Estimated Hours Required: 3 – 4 hours per month, or more depending on committee involvement.
- Experience in fundraising, capital markets, high-net worth relationships, accounting, human resources, government, or community relations
- Ability to communicate Alumni Association’s mission, vision and values to others with accuracy and enthusiasm
- Time and desire to be a part of a cohesive team and collective efforts
- Open doors in the business community, with foundations and with private individuals or families to facilitate donations of funds
- Non-profit board experience is desirable
- Opportunity to make a wide variety of contacts within the Alumni community
- Leadership role in coordination, policy planning, and implementation of philanthropic programs at a nationally recognized non-profit organization with a mission focused on bettering the Canadian Military Colleges and the Canadian Armed Forces
- Opportunity to foster meaningful and lasting partnerships with and among others
- Chance to direct activities that will make a positive impact on individual students at the Canadian Military Colleges, alumni, donors, volunteers and on the Canadian military community as a whole
Note: The deadline for submitting a CV and cover letter is Tuesday, August 2nd. Interviews will be scheduled the week of August 15th for selected candidates. Please submit a resume along with a cover letter to email@example.com