Quiz / Trivia
1. Lt.-Col. R. C. Richardson, Jr., then Commandant of Cadets, at __________, _________, presented to the Royal Military College Officers’ Mess a very beautiful set of blue china dinner plates, each plate bearing a different picture of the Academy/College or its surroundings in 1931.
a) Royal Military College, Kingston
b) United States Military Academy, West Point
c) United States Naval Academy, Annapolis•
d) Royal Military Academy Sandhurst
e) Royal Military College, Duntroon
f) Heroic Military Academy, Mexico
2. Where is the set of blue china dinner plates, today?
a) we’d love to know, if you have any information, please contact the RMC Museum soonest
b) RMC Senior Staff Mess
c) RMC Commandant’s Residence
d) RMC Museum
e) RMC Currie Hall
3. The RMC Museum collection includes ___ that were recovered from dumpsters by various staff members who eventually donated their finds back to the College.
a) the original shields that once hung in Currie Hall
b) the original (signed!) photograph of Queen Victoria that once hung in the original Cadet Dining Room (Rm 250 Mackenzie)
c) both a and b
DID YOU KNOW?
On the north wall of the Chapel at Ashbury College in Rockliffe Park, Ottawa a memorial stained glass window was placed in the chapel by the former students and friends of 1337 Alfred Beaufort Belcher. The window was dedicated to the memory of Alfred Beaufort Belcher (RMC 1920), a devoted member of Ashbury staff from 1942 until his death April 4th 1963. It includes the crests of the Royal Military College of Canada and a few lines of one of Belcher’s poems “and God runs quiet fingers through the tired hair of the World”. Nicknamed “Duke”, he came to RMC from Ridley in 1917, and graduated in 1920. A heart attack prevented him from joining the Service. He retired to Bobcaygeon to raise bees, he did some acting on Broadway and wrote articles for stage journals. On his return to Toronto he joined the C.B.C. and also published a book of verse. He was an assistant master at Ridley for a few years before joining the staff at Ashbury in Ottawa in 1943.
On the north wall of the Chapel at Ashbury College, where he served as chapel monitor, a memorial stained glass window was dedicated to his memory “to the glory of God and in loving memory of RCNC 47 Michael F. A. Ney R.C.N. who was killed in an accident while serving against the Mau Mau October 31st 1954. The window was placed in this chapel by the questors of 1955. Michael F. J. A. Ney was the son of Major Fred J. Ney and his wife Helen Ney. Michael F. J. A. Ney was killed in an accident in Kenya in 1954 while serving as an inspector with the Kenyan Police Force. While returning to Naivasha from an advanced post, Mike was killed by a police jeep which ran into his car killed him and injuring the other occupants. He was buried with full military honours. He had served during the Second World War as a Midshipman with the R.C.N.V.R. Michael Ney had been educated at Ashbury College, Royal Roads Military College and the University of Toronto. It includes the crests of the Royal Roads Military College and of Trinity College at the University of Toronto and the message “First unto God and then to the Queen”.
Click here for answers from Quiz / Trivia.
Quiz / Trivia
1. b) Lt.-Col. R. C. Richardson, Jr., then Commandant of Cadets, United States Military Academy, West Point, presented to the Royal Military College Officers’ Mess a very beautiful set of blue china dinner plates, each plate bearing a different picture of the Academy or its surroundings in 1931. We believe, that this momento had never before been given to anyone outside the Academy.RMC has 12 blue and white plates in all -each showing a different West Point scene.
Source: Royal Military College of Canada – Review Yearbook (Kingston, Ontario Canada) – Class of 1932 p 34
2. d) The photos show the set of 12 as displayed in the RMC museum in September 2013 and a close-up detail of one of the plates.
3. c. The RMC Museum collection includes the original shields that once hung in Currie Hall and the original (signed!) photograph of Queen Victoria that once hung in the original Cadet Dining Room (Rm 250 Mackenzie). They were recovered from dumpsters by various staff members who eventually donated their finds back to the College.