“I was on the 1963 and 1964 teams that played against West Point.

At West Point, in 1963, we were invited at the Commanding Officer’s home after the game. I remember having a very interesting discussion with our host. He was tall, lean body, enormous eye brows and very impressive. His name was William Childs Westmoreland.”

6150 Andre Lemieux


Photo left: John Litt and Bob Parsons with West Point [Commandant]. (Click for better viewing)

Photo right: – 1972 in Kingston (7-4 win) Left to Right: John Litt (A), John Jussup (Manager), Bob Parsons (C), BGen W.K. Lye (Commandant), Steve Blanchard, Brian Raindahl (Manager), Marc Ouellet, Bob Booth, Marc Legault, Major (Ret’d) Alphee Bake (Chairman), Larry McJannet.

10080 Bob Booth competed in four games against West Point: 1971, 1972, 1973, and 1974. His coaches were Danny McLeod (1) and Tom Walton (3).

The game that sticks out in his mind the most was the ’73 affair played at the Kingston Memorial Centre. Rick Wing; Jim Alkins and Henry Van Keulen were three players that the now Calgary lawyer and former RMC Club president remembers who shared various shifts with him during the game. In his own words:

“One of the few times I managed to score in a game, on a breakaway, occurred in the last minute of this game resulting in a 4-4 tie. Given the last minute timing, the result was that the game felt more like a win than a tie and enabled RMC to retain the trophy since we had won the 1972 game. Ties stayed tied – no overtime – no shootout, in those days. I only wish “The Major” (our 1st year coach, as the 70-71 season was Danny’s last as RMC Hockey coach) had been witness, since he labelled me in my rookie year as a guy “who’s shot couldn’t break the skin of a rice pudding”. My good pal and teammate Rick Wing and I had smuggled a wee bit of alcohol into the dressing room just in case there was a result to celebrate. We imbibed liberally in the dressing room after the game, making us late for our blind dates and the formal ball that took place in those days after the game – perhaps tarnishing the “gentlemen” part, but leaving intact the fact we were “cadets” – on a mission.”

10080 R.T. Booth


22409 Major Thomas Connerty and 22417 Major Mark Lachapelle both entered RMC in September 1998. During the “attractions phase of their recruiting process” they both attended the West Point game (2-2) the previous Feb with their parents.

For the record the last year that RMC had won a game in this series was 1987.

Two years later – Connerty was the goalie when RMC shut-out West Point 3-0. The first and only RMC “home” shutout in the history of the series. Lachapelle was a big force on defence and played at a level one would expect of a III or IV year veteran.

By the time IV year rolled around both Thomas & Mark were well established and highly respected OUA players. During III Year under Coach Andy Scott they not only made the play-offs; they won a round against a very skilled Queen’s team. Losing out two games to one against U of T to decide which team would move on to the OUA Final 4. The first and only time that a RMC hockey team has won a OUA play-off round in the over 40 year history of the league.

Back to the West Point series – 2003 – IV Year for both – RMC 3 – West Point 2 in overtime. For those of us who were in attendance it will be a long time before we forget:  team captain, Shannon Goudie skated down the left side,  and fired a high shot to the glove side of the West Point goalie which eluded him for the winning goal.

When asked for his thoughts on the series, Major Lachapelle replied.

“This match-up carries with it a long standing heritage of hockey. Due to the history of the series, it brings with it such an importance to RMC. I feel as if I have been a part of history and to also have not lost on home ice truly means a lot to me. By far the best hockey highlight of my career!”

Previous memories

Leave a Comment