Who am I?

“It required no great military genius to predict the outcome of the battle once the Japanese had landed on the island…The enemy controlled the sea and the air. Three-inch mortar ammunition had run out. Only one battery of 18-pounder guns was available for artillery support. Only light machine-guns and rifles left to fight with. The men had been fighting without much food and practically no sleep and were dead tired. They were obviously in no condition to put up a spirited defence without some rest. A request that they be given 24 hours rest was a reasonable one particularly as it was judged there were ample troops available who had participated up to date only to a comparatively small degree in the battle and also as the plan then was to contract the front held by a retirement to the Stanley Peninsula itself.”

  • I studied at the Royal Military College in Kingston from 1915-1916.
  • I saw action in both world wars, winning a Military Cross in 1918.
  • My civilian position was as head of the pulp and paper firm founded by my great-grandfather in in the Saguenay-Lake St. Jean region of Quebec in 1820.
  • The Heritage Center, located in Jonquière Québec shows how four generations of my family guided the forest Industry in the Saguenay-Lake St. John region with its’ sawmills, pulp and paper mills and hydro-electric development.
  • I served with the Royal Rifles of Canada, one of the oldest regiments in the Non-Permanent Active Militia (now the Canadian reserves). The regiment was ordered to mobilize an active service force as the 1st Battalion of the Royal Rifles of Canada in July 1940.
  • I was senior battalion major, second-in-command of the Royal Rifles of Canada under Lieut-Colonel William Horne.
  • I was interned at the Argyle St. Officers P.O.W. Camp, Kowloon, from 1942-1943. As a Lt. Col. I served as the surviving senior officer of the Royal Rifles in their defence of Hong Kong in 1941. After being released from Japanese Prison Camps in 1945, I led about 400 liberated Canadian Officers and men of The Royal Rifles and Winnipeg Grenadiers arrived at Victoria, BC on the last lap of our homeward journey.
  • I received authorization to put in place the Corps of Commissionaires, which began to operate in Quebec in November 1946.
  • I served Bishop University for 47 years, as a trustee from 1928 to1966, a member of the Executive Committee of Corporation from 1928 to 1933, President of Corporation from 1966 to 1968 and Chancellor from 1968 to 1974.
  • I am credited as making a major contribution to the success of Bishop’s 1970 financial campaign which made possible the construction of the Sports Complex. In 1975, as President of the Bishop’s University Foundation I generated the Opportunity Fund campaign which raised another $3,000,000. A sports and recreation centre at Bishop’s University was named in my honour in 1975.

Who am I…?
a. 1119 John H. Price
b. 1131 P.A. Stanley Todd
c. 1272 A. Kelso Roberts
d. 1278 Walter M. Moore
Answer: 1119 Brigadier John Herbert. Price M.C., E.D.


Sources: Sir William Price Heritage center
Bishop’s: http://www.ubishops.ca/library_info/buildings.html#PRICE
Corp of Commissaires History:

Leave a Comment